Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Post #1


In order for a movie to be considered noteworthy, the movie must be able to capture its audiences imagination. The movie has to become more than a movie. When the viewer is watching it, they need to feel immersed in the content as though they are in the fictional world that the film has created. The best movies leave their viewers wanting more and I believe that is what makes a movie deserving of an award. 

“A Trip to the Moon” was a really interesting movie. I can tell that a lot of effort went into the making of this movie. The movie sets for “A Trip to the Moon” are really well built and a lot of detail was used. After watching the movie I really wanted to see more. Given the time period of “A Trip to the Moon”, I really feel that the movie is advanced for its time. “A Trip to the Moon” would definitely pass my criteria for a movie deserving of an award. If a remake were made today, I would watch it without hesitation. 

“The Great Train Robbery” was another example of a film that had some pretty advanced effects for its age. The footage on top of the train seemed to be real live footage without any visual editing. The effort put into the making of the film was no doubt enormous. However, the overall story told by “The Great Train Robbery” did not capture my imagination. I feel that it was not as well thought out as “A Trip to the Moon” was. In this sense I would say that “The Great Train Robbery” did not pass my criteria for a movie deserving of an award. 
Two movies I would like to mention that meet my criteria and are from a recent time period are “Tron Legacy” and “The Shawshank Redemption”. First, “Tron Legacy” is a really visually appealing movie. The entire world that we are presented with is so colorful and different from our own. Here is a video clip from "Tron Legacy" that I think shows the visual appeal of the movie: 

 Aside from being captured by the visuals of “Tron”, you are also presented with a great story. The characters in the movie begin mean something to the viewer and the action coupled with the story and visuals make for some great movie watching. Next, “The Shawshank Redemption” is a movie with a deep story. Here is a photo that demonstrates the intense emotion felt in this film: 


 The viewer is made to care deeply about the main actors predicament. Every bad thing that happens to him leaves you wishing it didn’t and praying for revenge. The character progression for the movie gives the viewer a lot of strong feelings toward each character. Each good character lost is painful to the viewer and when justice is finally given to the main character it is very satisfying. Both of these movies have many reasons for passing my criteria for an award deserving movie, and they definitely leave me wanting more from each of them after watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment